Summer starts this weekend! Well, maybe not technically, but close enough. It's time to prep for summer fun with an ounce of prevention. Few things can derail a fun summer day than a sunburn, to say nothing of the long-term health and aging-effects. Which makes sunscreen a summer essential for everyone, all summer long.
So how do you choose a good sunscreen that will protect you all summer? Here's a few tips from the American Cancer Society...
- Look for "Broad Spectrum" Protection - This means the product is protecting you from both UVA and UVB rays. So it prevents sunburn and it provides increased protection again skin cancer and premature aging
- Start at SPF 30 - This level of sunscreen filters out about 97% of UVB rays and is a recommended starting point for most people
- "Water-resistant" is a good option - But remember there are no "waterproof" sunscreens and all sunscreens need to be reapplied at least every two hours and after swimming, toweling off or sweating
Here's a few more usability tips:
- Remember that sunscreen is only helpful if you use it. So choose one that you like the feel / smell of and apply religiously
- Shake your sunscreen before applying to ensure the active ingredients are blended
- Toss out old sunscreen. Just like medications, many sunscreens now have expiration dates so check them and discard if they're pass their prime.
Happy start of summer!
Want to discover more ways to Live Life Inspired with a focus on style, health and simplicity? Sign up to receive Inspired by Dawn's email newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.